Mechanism of Action
New non-prescription URIEXO® is a clinically proven non-antibiotic option to UTI prevention. Only URIEXO® is specially formulated with two clinically proven active ingredients at their therapeutic doses (2000 mg of D-Mannose and 36 mg of PACs in its daily recommended dose) that have been demonstrated to be effective as prophylactic therapy for patients with recurrent urinary tract infections (UTIs).
URIEXO® combines D-mannose and Proanthocyanidins (PACs), at clinically effective doses to provide you with a one-two punch against UTI-causing bacteria.
Our mechanism of action in more detail:
D-Mannose 2000 mg:
- D-Mannose is a naturally occurring sugar similar in structure to but metabolized differently from glucose so that it does not negatively impact glycemic (blood sugar) control.
- Binds to Type I Fimbriae (Short Pili) bacteria anchoring sites.
- Type I fimbriae are proteins on the surface of bacteria that play a pivotal role in bacterial adhesion and are the most common virulence factor of UroPathogenic Escherichia coli (UPEC) Infections. 1
- Type I fimbriae are major facilitators of UPEC entry into Host cells, and prevalent adhesins expressed by most of the pathogenic strains.2
- Bacteria expressing Type I pili are most frequently associated with infections in the lower urinary tract and bladder causing cystitis. 2,3
- Clinically proven effective dose for prevention of UTIs (24-hour protection): 2000 mg/day.
Proanthocyanidins (PAC) 36 mg:
- PACs bind to receptor on the bacteria to reduce possibility of adhering to the bladder or urinary tract, allowing for natural flushing of the bacteria during urination.
- Binds to P Pili (Long Pili) bacteria anchoring sites.
- P pili (long pili) are also proteins on the surface of bacteria and are the second most common virulence factor of UroPathogenic Escherichia coli (UPEC).1
- Bacteria expressing P pili are most frequently associated with infections in the upper urinary tract and kidney region causing pyelonephritis (infection of the kidneys) 3
- Clinically proven effective dose for prevention of UTIs (24-hour protection): 36mg PACs.
1: Rosana Ribic, Acta Pharma. 68 (2018) 1-18 https://dpo.org/10.2478/acph-2018-004
2: Joaquim Ruiz, Difference in Virulence Factors among Clinical Isolates of Excherichia coli Causing Cystitis and Pyelonephritis in Women and Prostatitis in Men, Journal Of Clincial Microbiology, Dec. 2002, p. 4445-4449.
3: Magnus Anderson et al, The Biomechanical Properties of E. coli Pili for Urinary Tract Attachment Reflect the Host Environment, Biophysical Journal Volume 93, November 2007, 3008-3014
When URIEXO® makes its way into the urinary tract, its two active ingredients (D-mannose and PACs) target E. coli at two separate anchoring sites called “Pili”. E. coli account for 90 % of UTIs and may have either the Type I “Pili” or Type P “Pili” or both on their surface. Depending on which type of “Pili” they have, they may cause infection in different parts of the urinary tracts. URIEXO® is different in that it targets and binds to both of these “Pili” anchoring sites and in doing so, prevents the bacteria from binding to the lining of both the upper and lower urinary tract. Once the bacteria is bound to URIEXO® it is safely flushed out in urine.
This means that URIEXO® attracts and binds with more types of E. coli so that the bacteria can be occupied and safely rinsed, preventing it from binding with your urinary tract instead.
Scientifically formulated to bind to two separate anchoring sites of bacteria, URIEXO® provides you with a two-pronged and scientifically proven defence against recurring UTIs with each and every daily dose.
- Helps prevent Urinary Tract Infections and its symptoms:
- Painful or difficult urination
- Frequent urination
- Urgency to urinate
- Suprapubic/pelvic pain
- Two Medicinal Ingredients:
- D-Mannose (2000 mg/day)
- PACs, sourced from cranberry (36mg/day)
- Easy to Swallow Capsules